- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust
- 6 ounces of trimmed asparagus
- 1 leek
- 3 slices of bacon
- 3 eggs
- 5 ounces of grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup of milk
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- Start out by cooking the asparagus briefly in a pot of boiling salted water. Cook in the boiling water for 30 seconds before removing the asparagus to a small bowl of ice water. This will lock in the vibrant green color of the vegetable. Slice into strips on the angle.
- Meanwhile cook the bacon in a skillet until crisp making sure to let it drain on paper towel to remove excess grease afterwards. Once cooled, chop the bacon into small bits that are ideal for sprinkling.
- Peel and clean the leeks with cold water. Once prepared, thinly slice the white parts of the leek only for the quiche.
- Using the bacon grease left in the skillet saute the sliced leeks until softened and translucent.
- Add the sauteed leek to a bowl with eggs, milk and crumbled bacon. Whisk this together thoroughly and add a little pinch of salt and pepper for seasoning.
- Using a fork, poke holes in the base of the pie crust and sprinkle the cheese over the entire bottom. Lay the strips of asparagus on top of the cheese before pouring the egg and leek mixture over both. Place the piecrust on a baking sheet and place in a 350 degree oven for about 1 hour.
- Once the quiche has fluffed up and started to brown it is ready and just needs to be left to cool for a little while before serving.